Sunday, January 20, 2013

we always have room for one more



My parents have had this framed and hanging in their house for decades. I like it (even though there's only 4 kids in my family, not 6 but whoooo's counting anyway?). I hope this gem is bequeathed to me in the will or else I might be fighting a few of my sisters for it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm in no hurry to be inheriting cherished cross stitched pictures of the Owl Family.

My mom and dad have lived in Alabama for almost 35 years. I grew up there, from age 5 on up to moving away from home to go to college. Somehow my sister and I finally convinced them to buy a house in Utah (or they convinced themselves that they're missing out on spoiling some of their grandkids in person). They were here for a few weeks at Christmas and started moving in and setting up house. Aunt Judy did a lot of the work before they got here. I did haul over a few items of furniture from the attic at my house though so I wasn't totally useless.

It was wonderful to have them so close and in their own house for Christmas. Not because I didn't enjoy having them stay at my house in the past of course. That was lovely too. But it's even better to be able to dump off my kids for a few hours and then come back to my own peacefully quiet house. It was heavenly. Dan and I even went on 2 dates while they were here. I'm ok with leaving my kids with babysitters but I just worry the entire time. Way less worry when the grandparents are tending (plus it's free!).

And now a few pictures.













If you're fortunate enough to have parents who you love (and who love you back and more importantly, love your kids) living close by, appreciate what a blessing it is. I know I do. I've waited many years to have my parents close. It's going to be nice to not have to wave goodbye as they drive off into the sunset anymore. It's also going to be nice to not hear my kids tell me how much they miss Grama Bama and Grandpa. It's always the worst the first week after they leave. I hate it.

And I'm not even going to talk about how sad it will be for them to move out of the house I grew up in because my tender heart can't handle it. I'll be happy to have them here this summer but sad to think that I might not go to that first home of mine again. I'm glad my kids got to go there a few summers ago and that I took oodles of pictures. Ug. Enough of that.

Now to end on a happy note.

Remember how much I love to play games with my kids? Looks like someone else will have that job!

Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love seeing the relationship you have with your parents, it makes me hope I can be something like that for my grandchildren...and children when they are older.

Cathy said...

Thanks, Evonne. They're pretty great.