Friday, April 1, 2011

too much buttermilk


I've got almost a quart of buttermilk in my fridge.

It expires in 5 days.

I bought it so I could make the blue velvet Jimmer cakes a few weekends ago.

The recipe only called for one cup.

Now I've got one quart minus one cup left over.

If I was a smart cookie I would have pulled some kind of evil April Fool's prank on Dan this morning and poured out the regular milk and replaced it with buttermilk.

I wonder if he would have even noticed his Lucky Charms with buttermilk instead of 1%.

Maybe next year.

We're probably going to Grandma's house on Sunday.

I could make a cake to bring with us.

I'm thinking maybe the best chocolate sheet cake ever (which is quite tasty but uses only 1/2 cup of buttermilk) or a batch of Paula Deen's red velvet cupcakes (y'all know I love Paula so I'm leaning towards the cupcakes...plus the recipe calls for a whole cup of buttermilk and I really need to use it up).

So I'm asking you...

family who might be at Grandma's on Sunday?

other family who live in the same city as me?

friends and/or neighbors who enjoy receiving baked goods from my kitchen?

What'll it be?

Looks like I've got enough buttermilk to make several cakes and a few batches of cupcakes.

Not sure if that will happen.

I might just save some for Dan after all.

You've been warned, my dear.


p.s. Here I sit, second day in a row that my kids are elsewhere and I have the quiet house all to myself and I am blogging instead of ironing. I've got my priorities in order. That's for sure.

3 comments:

colds1 said...

Grandma is in CA but if you are bringing the sheet cake our door is open for you all!!!

Plain Chicken said...

try these cheesy biscuits - they are to die for!

http://plainchicken.blogspot.com/2010/06/better-than-jim-n-nicks-cheesy-biscuits.html

You could also make a buttermilk pie with it.

Marisa said...

You know I love cake, but when I have lots of buttermilk leftover, I make a ton of pancakes and stick 'em in the freezer. Yep.