Friday, January 7, 2011

and now they're gone


Grama Bama and Grandpa (my parents, just in case you didn't know) left for the long drive home on Wednesday morning.

I'm pretty sure it was still dark out when they drove away.

That's probably why they left Grandpa's winter coat, Sunday suit and tie and belt, and Grama Bama's sweater in the coat closet.

It was just too dark to see them.



We enjoyed having them here.

I'm pretty sure they enjoyed being here.



The grandkids had fun being spoiled rotten.

What's not fun about that?



Cate got to know Aunt Jenny better.

She stuck to her like glue.

It was nice (for me, at least).



We missed the two cousins who couldn't make it this year.

If I knew how to use Photoshop I could stick them in this picture.

Abby would go right behind Grandpa.

Emma could be on the end by Danny.

Anyone want to give it a try?



Grandpa entertained the kids.

I'm pretty sure they were both ignoring him, but it was nice of him to try.



Danny's gotten it into his head lately that when you pose for a picture, you put your face in your hands.

I have no idea where that came from, but it's good for a laugh.



Grama Bama hit up Robert's (the craft store) on New Year's day looking for some felt letters.

She didn't find any.

In true Grama Bama style, she came home with gifts for the spoiled little ones instead.

They were on sale! How could she not?

Cate had fun playing with this wooden dress up doll set.

The dolls' names are Abby and Emma.

What a coinky dink.



Cate loved having a warm lap to snuggle up on to watch her shows.

I'm pretty sure Grandpa's brain is now mush.

Wubbzy and Team Umizoomi will do that to you after a while.



On the night before they left, I tried to get a few more pictures.

Both Danny and Cate are wearing clothes from Grama Bama.

That zebra shirt Cate's wearing came with matching zebra stripe leggings.

Adorable!



I realized that I hadn't taken any pictures of Grama Bama with her favorite son-in-law this trip.

Now I have.



Here's our little three generation picture.

(taken by me with my arm held out in front)

Now I know who Cate inherited her nose from (and it ain't me).



And then one last shot of me and my dad.

* * * * *

I've gotten a few texts from the parents since they left a few days ago.

Wednesday night my Dad texted me when they got to their hotel at the end of the day of driving.

He said they were "wigged out" and then signed off with "Peace out!"

Ummmmm....ok.

They left Texas this morning.

The goal is to cross Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama today.

And then it's home sweet home to crash in bed.

We're praying for safe travels and no more wigging out.

That's just not something I want my parents doing on a long drive across the south.



In other news, I took the Christmas tree down on day negative eleven.

I didn't meet my goal but at least it's done.

That stick in the snow is all that's left of it.

I had to chop all the branches off in order to get the lights off.

Is that normal?

That's what I've always done.



And these two.

Just when you think they'll never ever learn how to play nicely with each other

(mostly because Danny doesn't want to play with Cate's pink Legos
and Danny doesn't want to let Cate play with his Star Wars Legos),

Danny puts his arm around Cate and says,

"Hey, Mama. Take a picture of us!"

Love.

Love.

Love.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

Lovely posts. You have a beautiful family :)

Unknown said...

I MISS MY CATIE-BUG!!!! There's such an obvious space for both Abby & Emma - don't you see it? We had such a great time visiting our "Utah family." Love you!

carol said...

Great post! Those photos are really sweet and beautiful :)

Glenora said...

Please show the children our pictures every day so they will not forget us.

Catherine Glazner said...

aww glad you had so much fun with your family!! So fun!

Arlene said...

sniff....I miss them.

What were they doing in Laramie?