Wednesday, January 5, 2011

let's just call them cakies


I tasted my very first ever cake batter cookie at a cookie swap last month (my very first ever cookie swap, I might add). It's that chocolate one on the left. I really didn't even know that you could make cookies from a cake mix. Have I been living under a rock or something? Maybe.


Then I came across a recipe for red velvet sandwich cookies and whipped them up for a family Christmas party. (I think they'd be great for a Valentine's treat too, you know, because they're red and sweet.) My second encounter with cookies made from a cake mix (although the original recipe was for cookies from scratch and I just used the cheater version).



I made another batch last week. This time I used a chocolate cake mix. Danny enjoyed eating big chunks of the dough. After eating a few, he said something like, "Hey, Mama. How 'bout next time you put in some peanut butter too?" Genius! My child is a culinary genius. So I bought some peanut butter chips and gave them another try.



I'm calling them cakies. Cookies made from a cake mix. Cakies. And they're so good. Just ask Grandpa. He ate a little more than his fair share. I left him alone with just the cakies (and a napping Cate) while I ran some errands and went to the gym yesterday (because I ate more than my fair share of the cakies too).

Best part about the cakies, they're easy. Just three ingredients. Cake mix, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil. That's all (unless you want to jazz them up with some kind of chips...chocolate, peanut butter, maybe butterscotch).

Stir it all up. Use your cookie scoop (or just a tablespoon if you don't have one) and plop them on a lined baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Be careful you don't let the parchment paper slide off the cookie sheet when you're taking the hot cakies out of the oven. Some of those precious cakies might land on the floor. If that happens, use your best judgment on what to do with those broken (but still delicious) cakies. Just don't tell anyone if you eat the pieces that landed on the floor. That might be considered gross by some people.

If you do make some cakies and then go ahead and eat more than your fair share too, don't fret. Get yourself to the gym. You'll be in good company this time of year.

3 comments:

Judy said...

I had way more than my fair share the other night too after you left my house and there were about 5 left in a little ziploc bag. I really only meant to have one more...

Broncop3t3 said...

Tammy used to make those all the time when we were first married. Now they are more of a once-in-a-while treat. They are good! Not sure about living under a rock... you may have been. The verdict is still out on that!

Christie said...

I feel like a bad pretend internet friend that I didn't introduce you to those delights sooner. They are the softest, moistest, most delicious things on the planet.

Crap. Now I need to go make some. Dang that new years resolution to stay away from the treats!!!