Monday, January 3, 2011

and the countdown continues



That was yesterday's number.
Danny hasn't reminded me to change the number for today yet.
The conversation usually goes a little something like this.
(And we've been having this same conversation every single morning since around December 1st when I hung up that silly little countdown chalkboard.)

I'm in the kitchen.
Danny comes in and says, "Uh, Mama. Haven't you forgotten some-ting?"
Then I say, "Nope. I don't think so."
And he replies, "You forgot to change the number!"

And so it goes, day after day.

This kid loves a countdown.

I feel kind of bad that I didn't let him stay up a few nights ago for the best countdown of the year.
Not bad enough to let him do it next year though.

As for the negative numbers, that's all my fault.
A few months ago he kept asking me what number comes in back of zero.
I tried telling him that zero is where the numbers start but he was having none of that.
So I introduced him to the world of negative numbers.
At the ripe old age of three.

I had no idea that on the day after Christmas he'd want to keep the countdown going.
(I should have known. I don't know what was going on in my brain. Too much candy?)
I tried erasing the zero from Christmas day and writing 364 instead.
That wouldn't do.
He corrected me and let me know that negative one is "in back of" zero.

So the countdown continues...
until the tree comes down and the decorations get packed away at least.

Let's hope that happens some time before day negative ten.
That's my goal.
It is the new year after all and goals seem to be all the rage these days.


4 comments:

Dan said...

My son is a math genius!
And my wife is an excellent blogger!

Cathy said...

I'm sure he's a math genius because his father is so mathletic!

Candis Ellis said...

That was a REALLY cute post. Both Jake and I think so :)

Arlene said...

Mathletic. haha