Thursday, January 24, 2013

happy national peanut butter day!



I know what you're thinking. A post about peanut butter right after a post about the dentist? This little blog has reached an all time high on The Scale of Awesome! Oh, yeah. Aren't you glad I'm not inspirational and thought provoking all the time? Sometimes your brain just needs a little break. That's what the peanut butter is for. It requires no thinking.

I was going to tell you about this yummy recipe I found for skinny peanut butter swirl brownies (no link because I didn't take any pictures of them and also I don't want the blog lady to track back to this post and know that I didn't like them...I'm a coward). And then I made them. And tasted them. And forced my family to taste them. Danny had none. Cate couldn't finish hers. I gave one to Dan and told him it was gluten free. Isn't that exciting? No gluten in a brownie! Wow! Know what he said as he put his empty plate in the sink? 

"I think I like my gluten."

No offense to the skinny brownies or their creator, of course. It looks like plenty of people like them (the blog post has received almost 200 comments). I'm pretty sure my family has been spoiled by gluten and real sugar for way too long to be very accepting of anything different. I did use some Splenda because I happened to have a box in my cupboard (I have no idea who put it there, probably my mom). That could have been the problem. 

Anyway, I wasn't even going to mention the brownies but after the text I received from my sister today I couldn't resist. I gave the rest of the pan to her in hopes that her boys would eat them. They're 9 and 8. They both think I make the best desserts ever (mostly because their mother never bakes and I'm all they've got...but also because I do indeed make the best desserts ever). And did I mention that I doubled the recipe? Yeah. I did. So there were a lot of leftover brownies. Almost the entire pan.

my sister: Jarrett says the cake is great. He doesn't understand why you said it's disgusting. He put some chocolate sauce on it tonight.

me: Well, his expectations must be pretty low!

my sister: Nope. He says if there were a baking contest you would probably win. And if you won a million dollars that would help a lot right?

*   *   *

Kids are funny, boys will eat anything and yes, a million dollars would help a lot. 

It would buy a lot of peanut butter.


No comments: