Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pioneer recipe: brown sugar cake


Just continuing on my little tradition of Pioneer Day treats (because I live in Utah and I like Pioneer Day and I like treats and any excuse to make a treat that the pioneers probably ate is extra fun). In case you missed the others, last year I made apple candy and the year before that it was washboard cookies. Now you're all caught up.

This year's treat is my favorite pioneer recipe by far (I've only made these three but this one still takes the cake...heehee).


Brown Sugar Cake

1 1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter, softened

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Stir it all together and pour it into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let cool before frosting.


Frosting:

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1/4 cup butter

Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until mixture is smooth. Frosting will be warm when you pour it over the cake. Cooled cake with harden frosting.

+   +   +

My kind neighbor brought this brown sugar cake to my house last Christmas with the recipe all typed up on some cutesy Christmas paper. It was delicious. Moist and sweet, but not too sweet. I am not a frosting lover and this frosting glaze stuff is right up my alley.

I can't believe I love a non-chocolate cake as much as I do. I made it twice last week and it earned my sister's seal of approval. She called it evil. Just like those peanut butter cookies I forced her to eat. Next time I think I'll double the recipe and bake it in my sheet cake pan (especially if this certain sister is around). That way we might actually have leftovers.

This yummy cake has a sub title even. "Old pioneer recipe - white sugar was too expensive"

Credit for this yummy brown sugar cake goes to my kind neighbor's husband's father's mother. Get all that? Her name was Ethel. I'm glad she shared this with her family and that my neighbor shared with us.

Happy Pioneer Day!


1 comment:

Marisa said...

This looks mighty tasty, even without chocolate. I love glaze frostings. I made a similar one called "Penuche Frosting" from the Cake Mix Doctor book. My first batch tasted weird, and I realized it was the store brand sugar. I haven't bought anything but C&H since. So weird that it makes a difference, but I guess when sugar is the only flavoring, it makes sense.

This would be a good cake for fall. I love brown sugary things in fall.