Saturday, April 7, 2012

enough sleep



Do you get enough sleep, Mommy?

Not really.

Because of me and Cate?

Sometimes.

Is it me or is it Cate? (Because everything has to be a competition to him...wonder where he got that idea from.)

That just depends on who wakes up first. (Because in all honesty, I do not make any kind of effort to wake up and be ready for the day before my kids get out of bed. I just don't. I know there are awesome moms out there who do. I'm not one of them.)

Mostly me?

Yep. But that's ok. I love you anyway.

I love you more.

I love you most.

I love you very much, dear.

I love you more.

I love you most! (Because remember, everything's a competition with him, even how much love you have to give each other.)

* * *

And how cute is it that my 5-year-old boy likes to quote lines from Tangled (a princess movie, as far as he's concerned).

Sheesh, I love that kid. That's why I write this stuff down. I know what happens to charming 5-year-old boys. They grow up. I see them at church every Sunday. Moping around like it's the worst day of their lives. I see them at youth activities on Wednesday nights. Oh, the pain and agony of having to interact with people and possibly try to have fun. Torturous indeed.

I'm not saying that all charming 5-year-old boys turn into mopy teenagers. I know that lots of them don't (my loving husband for example). And I'm counting on my kid to be one of the non-mopers. Those mopers are just no fun to be around. (And I should know since I'm pretty good at moping and most days I don't even want to be around me.)

I want Danny to remember (and I want me to remember too) that he is sweet and kind and loving (at least to me...most of the time). He's a good kid. He really is. And for that I am very thankful.

Even if he does wake up earlier than I'd like.

This old mom of his needs her beauty sleep.