Sunday, June 21, 2015

happy birthday to my catie bug



A few nights ago I heard Dan and Cate having a little chat in the bedroom. I asked Cate about it when I tucked her in for the night. She told me they were talking about what she wants to be when she grows up and stuff.

I give you her top three choices:

Artist (most likely a painter)

Professional Bike Rider (if she chooses this one she'll have to explore waaaaaaaaay more than just around and around our block)

Ballerina

***

On our drive home from bowling at BYU yesterday (113 for me!! I totally kicked everyone's trash!), she asked to hear the story of how she was born. Again.

"Tell me how I was born because I've been thinking about having a baby and I'm feeling a little nervous."

So I told her about how my body got sick and I had to stay in bed for a few weeks before she was born. And about how the doctor said I could only get out of bed to shower and go potty. After a few weeks I went to the doctor and he told me to go to the hospital. They checked me overnight and the next day told me that my body was too sick and she needed to be born.

I told her about how I got a big shot in my back so I didn't feel any pain when she came out. But she was so tiny anyway. And I pushed once, maybe twice and there she was. The nurses scooped her away to check on her. She was born a month early so she needed help breathing and eating so she stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks until she got it all figured out.

I'm not sure if that helps with her nerves but she's got at least a good 20 years before she really needs to worry about the joys of childbirth. 

***

I sure love that little Catie Bug of mine. She's so very different from me in so many ways. But that's part of why I love her so. I love that she's cheerful (most of the time but watch out if she's tired and doesn't get her way) and carefree. She's a talker (but not at school or church where she's a very good listener). She loves to entertain and be entertained. Never a dull moment with her around. And what a creative little artist she is. Some days the first thing she does after waking up is head straight to the table for paper and markers and a masterpiece.

 ***

She's a happy little miracle and I'm so glad she's mine.

Happy 7th birthday to my best girl!