Tuesday, July 9, 2013

lemon brownies



I came into the kitchen one day and happened upon this set up on my stove. Looks like Cate was doing a little pretend cooking in the real kitchen. 

And then I felt like maybe I had stumbled upon a brilliant idea. Felt Food Blogging. You still get to share your favorite recipes but without all the hassle of actually baking anything. Also, zero calories. I like it. This might be short lived because Cate's stash of felt food isn't very extensive but for now, I'm excited.

I've been making these lemon brownies for a while. I'm sure I've raved about them on here for just as long. We all know that I prefer to eat my sugary calories in the form of chocolate. But if I have to pick a second place winner, it has to be lemon.

I made oodles of these lemon brownies for my friend's wedding last month. I tweaked the recipe a bit and I think it's pretty much perfect. Know what the best part is? The edges. I know some brownie lovers are edge people and some are middles but the edges on these are scrumptious. It's where the glaze puddles on top of the crispy side pieces and holy yum. I had to trim off a lot of edges so the brownies were all uniform and beautiful for the wedding. By the end I had a huge bowl of edge slivers. Thank goodness for nephews who think I'm the best baker in the whole world or I'd still be eating them.

Lemon Brownies (adapted from Rita's, even though hers are divine just the way they are)

6 eggs
6 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best of course)
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 sticks softened butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix it all up. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes in a greased 9x13 pan.

For the glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Mix it all up and spread on top of cooled brownies.


4 comments:

Marisa said...

I WILL make these this month. You had me at "glaze puddles".

Jamie M. said...

Sounds yummy!!

Unknown said...

These are seriously delicious. Especially when you friend brings you a Coke to wash them all down.

Arlene said...

Mmmmm