Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fourth, fifth and first





In the interest of creating cherished childhood memories, we woke the kids up super duper early on the fourth and headed north to Grandma's neck of the woods. The parade in Dan's hometown starts at 8:30 and we live about an hour away so yeah, the Fourth of July turns out to be a long day. It was my idea to go so I'm not complaining. I'm going to make those kids of mine have some lasting memories of fun times with their family at parades if it kills me.

It's a pretty good parade too. Not many floats but lots of tractors and candy. Good enough.


We headed over to check out the fun in the park festivities after the parade. That part was probably a mistake. Too hot and too crowded makes for some cranky kids. We didn't last long. No biggie. At least we tried.




We headed over to Grandma's house for some lunch and good times with Uncle Tony. And Grandma gave me some Tupperware that she didn't want anymore so that was awesome. 

After lunch we drove home. The kids snoozed in the car. I don't remember the rest of the day honestly. That's what happens when you're an old lady like me and you don't blog it when it happens. It's gone forever. I do remember that we kept the kids up way past bedtime to go see the fireworks and all they did was whine and complain and want to go home before they even started. We won't make that mistake again any time soon. They were happier just watching the fireworks in the street that our neighbors were lighting off. Duly noted.


The next morning we drove down to Provo to meet up with my buddy Arlene and her hubby Carl. Arlene and I used to teach school together. She lives in Texas now but was visiting Utah for the Fourth. We stopped by an awesome shaved ice joint for a treat.



The servings were humongous and so very tasty. It tasted like a big fruity scoop of fresh snow. Dan and I had a little scoop of coconut ice cream hidden inside ours. Divine. I think I'll be heading back very soon.


Dan makes a pretty good photobomber, I must say.


Last but not least, the first harvest of my wimpy little garden. Isn't it cute? I'm excited for the beets and broccoli to get a move on. And next year maybe I'll figure out how to grow strawberries without killing them.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely excited to try to sno shack.

Aaand you wonder why I blog so much, I forget what happens even with pictures. I would blame it on being old, but it is how I have always been.

Jamie M. said...

YUMMY, I need to try that sno shack!!

If I don't write it down I forget stuff too, I blame it on the kids.

Arlene said...

It was so fun to see you guys! Next year, you need to come to the cabin for at least one night!