Sunday, June 3, 2012

halfsies



I asked Danny a few weeks ago if he'd like to have a half birthday cake (inspired by my internet buddy...except her cake looks way nicer than mine) for his half birthday.

He said no.

I was a little disappointed but got over it and moved on.

I probably baked something else to get me over the sadness of it all so it's fine.




Well, looks like the thought of the half cake for his half birthday kept brewing inside his little brain.

He asked me on Thursday (11 days after his half birthday day) if I was ever going to make that cake.

Oh, brother.




So I whipped up the batter, poured half into a cake pan and the rest into cupcake liners.

Notice the five and a half candles? I think that was pretty clever of me if I do say so myself.

I only frosted the cake.

The cupcakes got left naked because I know Danny doesn't like frosting and he'd want one that way.

I was right.


Photobucket


I even cut his cupcake in half just for funzies.




A few pictures before the candle lighting (out of order but who cares).




Having a little taste of the frosting.




Then I told him to just smile.

And that looked so goofy that I told him to not smile.

Here's what I got.




Ha. I sure love that his grumpy grump face doesn't come out as often as it used to.

I'm not sure what Dan and Cate were singing to him before he blew out the candles. 

I was singing Happy Half Birthday To You. It seemed appropriate.

I think I like this little half celebration idea. Maybe we'll keep it.

With only two kids it shouldn't be too difficult.

Plus, it's a big deal to them when they finally get to add that half when they tell their age right?

Right.



3 comments:

Marisa said...

Please tell me Dan and Cate like frosting, and that you and Danny are the exception. I wonder if a dislike of frosting is genetic?

At least you made the frosting you like, so all that beautiful frosting won't go to waste. Otherwise I'd have to come help finish that cake.

I'm glad Danny changed his mind! :) Celebrating half birthdays is fun.

Unknown said...

That is the cutest idea, and the cutest cake. I love it. I wish I would have done this for Savannah, because I would have won coolest Mom of the year.

debra said...

Who eats all of that cake with frosting if you and Danny don't like frosting?