Friday, May 25, 2012

insta.potpourri



I was at the shoe store browsing around. I noticed a mom with three teenage girls walking down one of the aisles. The mom pointed and said something like, "How about those?" and one of the girls replied (in that teenage girl voice that they do so well), "Those look like 40-year-old shoes. I do NOT want to look like a 40-year-old." These are the shoes the mom was pointing at. I don't blame that poor girl. I do NOT want to look like a 40-year-old either (even though I will be one shortly). I think that mom should just stick to online shoe shopping.




I bought this dry shampoo because the internet told me I should. I have no idea how to use it. I don't think it does anything for my fine, straight hair but good grief it smells delicious. Like Hawaii. I sure wish I knew how to do something to my hair besides big messy bun (that Cate draws as a big circle right on top of my head) and ponytail. But now that summer is almost here that's all I'll be doing anyway so who cares.




This might be my favorite picture from Dan's birthday. How adorable are those two? Blurriness and all.




Dan let me buy some new chairs for Mother's Day. I got them across the street at the yard sale so they actually aren't new, just to me. They're strong and heavy and the seat is a little slopey. I love them. Now I've got all 8 dining room chairs around the table and these up at the counter. There's two more in the front room. I shall be painting them someday. They're added to the list of things-to-paint-once-I-get-my-act-together.




A few years ago Uncle Tim and Aunt Kym gave Danny these cardboard bricks. I pretty much hate them. They take up a lot of space and are one of the hardest things to clean up (just ask Danny, he complains ferociously when it's time to put them away). But the kids love them so I haven't thrown them away yet. Well, I bought more. I blame the curse of the yard sale. Look! A big bag of those cardboard bricks that I hate so much! In colors that we don't have! Only $3 for a huge bag! We need them! They're only $3! Ug.




I made wedding cupcakes this week for a young women's activity. It was supposed to be a wedding cake but instead of letting my worry about making a wedding cake get the best of me (even though I volunteered for it) I made wedding cupcakes.

I tell you what. They were delicious! Probably better than any wedding cake I've ever eaten. I used a vanilla cake mix (that I made taste a little more like homemade) and topped them with the best frosting I've ever had. Seriously. I'm not a frosting lover. I usually scrape it off (unless it's that chocolate frosting from Dan's birthday cake). This frosting is light and smooth and heavenly.

I'm making another batch today since I ate the last two cupcakes at 12:38 this morning. I couldn't sleep and they were just begging to be eaten. They were being saved for Danny and Cate so now I feel bad that I ate my kids' cupcakes in the middle of the night. So much for losing 4 pounds. Ha.

(Yes, Mom. Those are the cupcake liners you sent me. I'll still use the other ones for Cate's birthday.)




We played a game of dominoes before dinner one evening. Cate won it, fair and square. When we were cleaning up Danny said, "This is kind of like Candy Land, except it's with dominoes and you don't pick a card." So...not like Candy Land at all then. Funny kid.




These two enjoyed a popsicle yesterday afternoon. It was windy and my phone showed that it was 61 degrees outside. I'm surprised they didn't ask to run around in the sprinklers too. I absolutely love spring in Utah. Rain, wind, warmish one day and chilly the next. I seriously do love this. I try to have a moment of silence every once in a while and be thankful for this weather because I know without a doubt it can change quickly and I'm left cursing the sun for the next 3 months.  It's cloudy and rainy and windy out right now and oh, I think this is going to be the best day.




Cate loves raspberries. She came to me this morning and asked if she could have some of those "red bumpy things" for breakfast. I think we need some raspberry bushes in our backyard.




I'm headed to the Veterans Memorial cemetery tomorrow morning with the youth to put flags on the graves. I'm hoping they can be a little more reverent than their normal selves and understand the significance of what those men and women did for us. I think we're headed out to decorate graves with Grandma too. And we'll be sure to take Danny and Cate to pay a visit to my grandma and grandpa on Monday. Mums for everyone!

*   *   *

So I guess we know that I like this instagram thing right? Did you also know that I like tiny things? I used to make tiny books when I was a kid. I'd cut little squares of paper, staple them together and write riveting stories on the pages. I remember that I wrote one called A Worm in Hawaii. I sure wish I could find that one.

Well, I found a way to put together my love of instagram and tiny books. Printstagram. You can make tiny photo books using your instagram pictures! I'm totally doing this. Like real soon. Hello, stocking stuffers and perfect grandparent gifts!



life rearranged

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great pictures...and the wedding cupcakes look so yummy! :-)

Unknown said...

I got a sample of that dry shampoo stuff once. It does smell delicious!!! I actually used it last night b/c I wanted to smell it. This is after I used actual shampoo in the shower. I think it just makes my hair shiny. Oh - & I'm totally getting that Printstagram tiny book - how cool!

Judy said...

I have the same dry shampoo it is nice when I haven't washed my hair and it's greasy and I need it to look good.

Janell R. Cropper said...

I LOVE Dry Shampoo :) It works great if you want to do your hair in something besides a ponytail, but don't want to wash your hair. You spray it throughout your hair, massage it into the roots, and your hair feels cleaner and softer. Just saying :0
and I want one of those cupcakes

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

Your cupcakes are so beautiful. I wish I could eat one.

Marisa said...

I love those chairs! And I love that frosting. So weird, but so good.

Glenora said...

THE CHAIRS LOOK BETTER UNPAINTED.