Thursday, December 1, 2011

sweetened condensed milk paint


Here's my little disclaimer right from the start.

I read your little mommy blog. I even sometimes read your little crafty blog. I try not to but I get sucked in. I see how you do fun stuff with your little kids. They're smiling and creating and you're snapping pictures in the perfect lighting. You're probably happy while you're doing it too. Oh, you crafty little mommy blogger you.

Then I'm left sitting there wondering a few things.

Am I a crappy mom because I don't do artsy fartsy stuff with my kids more often?

Is there a pile of dirty dishes in your sink because you're helping your kids do fun stuff instead of washing them? (the dishes and the kids too I guess)

Is it ok that I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown while I watch my kids paint with sticky sticky milky stuff?

Is it ok that I'm hoping they'll just paint fast so I can hurry up and clean? (their mess and them and those dirty dishes)

Do your kids think you're so awesome because you do artsy fartsy stuff with them?

How often do you really do this artsy fartsy stuff? (because if it's every day then I'm going to have to hate you now)

Will my kids think I'm cool if I do lots of artsy fartsy stuff or are they ok with how infrequently I do it nowadays?

Will they remember this sticky sticky milky paint stuff tomorrow and want to do it again? (because I seriously almost had to go put myself in time out to keep myself from having a serious panic attack...or heart attack, one of those)

* * * * *

Another little disclaimer, I don't know where this idea came from. Certainly not my own little brain. I'm not clever enough to create my own paint from sweetened condensed milk. I have no link or credit. Sorry. I searched my Pinterest "For the Kids" board and it's not from there. I thought it was but I was wrong.

On to the reason we're all here today.

Part Two of How We're Going to Survive Being Cooped up Inside All Winter (part one was the super cool geoboard I made! still feeling proud of that one.)


Sweetened Condensed Milk Paint

Here's what you need:




Best part of this one, I already had all the supplies in my house. No buying anything special. Hooray.

Notice that my little bottles of food color expired back in February. I know. I was taking a risk but I used them anyway.

Just plop the goopy stuff in the muffin tin, mix in your drops of color, stir and then let the kids at it. My kids sit on the counter and paint on the other counter. That's how we roll. We also do artsy fartsy stuff in our pajamas because morning is when they're happiest and most likely to do stuff like this without fighting with each other.



I will never get tired of seeing that protruding bottom lip of concentration.



See that gloopy drippy stuff coming off the paintbrush? That's what darn near made me go crazy. I am just not good at the messy stuff. I'm trying my darnedest to let them have fun anyway.



Oh, be still my heart. I tried to teach them how to wipe their brushes a little bit on the edge of the muffin tin but they weren't having any of that nonsense. Drip drip drip away!



Smiling like his picture.









And then we were done. I think they each painted on two pieces of card stock. I recommend a heavy paper because that sticky paint stuff gets heavy on there. Cate was very generous in her application too.

They thought we were running out of paint at one point (we weren't) so I added more. That's why there's some white swirling around. They didn't do a very good job of stirring it in. Kids.



When the fun was done I stuck the muffin tin in a baggie. It fit perfectly. Then I stuck the baggie in the cupboard where the pots and pans go. I haven't looked at it since. I probably should have stuck it in the fridge. I don't know. I'm afraid to see what it looks like now.



I think we'll try this one again soon. The paintings turn out pretty cool once they've dried.

Nice and shiny.

4 comments:

Marisa said...

Food coloring expires?? I think I've had the same food coloring since I moved out on my own. . . (counting on fingers). . . a long time ago. Huh. Oops.

My kids craft in their pj's in the morning because that's when they're happiest, too. The afternoons are all about tv. None of us can handle much else after 3pm.

Hunnygrams said...

Did they sneak a taste of the paint? With a couple of my kids there wouldn't have been much on the paper.

Cathy said...

No taste testing here! They probably knew that would gross me out beyond repair.

debra said...

Now I know what to do with the partial can of leftover sweetened condensed milk I have in the fridge that's been there too long to consider using it in a recipe.