Wednesday, October 5, 2011

chicken pillows



Here's what's for dinner tonight. Please excuse the picture taken long ago in my kitchen at night with the flash. Does that chicken pillow look appetizing anyway? I hope so because they are one of my favorites.

My Grandma used to make these for me when I came over for Sunday dinner in college. I'd call a few days ahead and let her know I planned on coming after church. She'd ask what I wanted to eat. Most of the time I requested chicken pillows. The other times it was her turkey tenders. I haven't made those yet myself but I've made these chicken pillows more times than I can count.


Chicken Pillows

2 packages crescent rolls
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 cups cubed chicken
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 package Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
melted butter

Sauce

1 can cream of celery soup
half and half


I've got no step-by-step tutorial for you. Sorry.

Just open the can of crescent rolls. Keep two triangles together so you've got a rectangle. Plop some of the chicken mixture on top and then fold the corners up to the top so you make a little pillow with chicken inside. Pinch the sides and the top so the chicken mixture doesn't come out.

Melt the butter and spread it on top of each pillow. Dip the buttered side into the stuffing. Put them on a sprayed baking sheet and bake.

Mix the cream of celery soup and half and half over medium heat until it's the consistency you like your gravy. I am not a gravy girl. I don't like it ever...except on my chicken pillows. Maybe that's because the recipe calls it sauce. I don't know. It's yummy though.

And here's the recipe in Grandma's own handwriting. Isn't it lovely?



Make some.

They're delicious.

Even my kids think so.


p.s. It's ok to leave out the onion if you think onions are gross like I do.

4 comments:

Jaymerz said...

These do look yummy, and perfect for the weather right now!!

Marisa said...

I was reading your description on Facebook and thinking, Huh, needs onion. :)

Joy McMillan said...

Cannot wait to make these!! They sound DECADENT!

Arlene said...

I pinned this! :) I love anything with stuffing! Mmmmm!