Sunday, August 14, 2011

chapter one: getting there is half the fun

Or not.

We woke the kids up early and our kind neighbor drove us to the airport.

Not the ginormous busy Salt Lake airport. The newly opened Provo airport.

It's closer to our house and it's tiny. Like drive-up-to-the-front-door of-the-airport tiny. A worker guy even held the door open for us.

If I can help it I'll never fly out of the ginormous busy airport again. At least not until my kids are big enough to make it through the security line 100% unassisted by me. That might be a very long time. We'll see.

We made it through security just fine. Then onto the waiting area to sit and watch the airplane and the guy with Angry Birds headphones.

Cate spent a few minutes watching the lady nursing her baby a few aisles over. She was using a cover up thing and Cate was very interested in what that was. And she wasn't very quiet in her questioning me about it.

We boarded the plane by walking outside and up a ramp. The kids thought that was pretty cool. Danny started out by me and Cate was next to Dan. After a mild freak out on her part and the taking off of the plane, she moved over by me.

Danny was perfectly happy the entire time. He's a good little traveler. Easy going like his daddy.

Look what the Angry Birds headphone guy had on in the seat in front of us.

Piggy headphones. Cate had her own headphones but didn't really like them. She kept them on anyway because she loves Oswald.

We made it to the Denver airport just fine. Then came the 2 1/2 hour (maybe 3...I can't remember, it's all a blur) layover.

Brilliant mommy that I am, I packed a small Lego box for Danny to open when we got there. He loved it and it kept him occupied and happy for quite a while.

I gave Cate a bucket of play do. We weren't sure it would make it through security in our carry on bag but it did! Hallelujah because it kept her busy and happy too.

The flight from Denver to Atlanta was long. Danny watched Star Wars on the DVD player and played Angry Birds. I think he even fell asleep on Dan's lap for a while.

Cate laid her head on my lap and slept for most of the flight. The nice man beside her didn't mind when she put her feet on his lap for most of her nap. We had a little chat with him before she fell asleep. He told us that he had a 4-year-old daughter named Cate too. Or maybe Kate. I didn't ask. He was very nice though.

Grama Bama picked us up at the airport. It was good to see her there. It was fun to ride in her new mini van. I wanted to steal it for myself but decided that wouldn't be very nice.

I'm pretty sure Dan was ready for the day to be over. I was too. I'm not a good traveler. It makes me tired and frustrated and cranky. Even without kids.

As we were driving along Cate kept commenting that we were driving through the forest. She was amazed at all the trees that lined the highway. Lots more trees in Georgia and Alabama than in Utah, that's for sure. I love all the green.

We stopped to eat dinner at Zaxby's. It was yummy chicken. And even yummier Diet Coke.

All in all, day one wasn't too bad. It was good to be back home.


Cat Glazner said...

First of all I HAVE to get me those Angry bird ear phones. LOVE THEM! Second glad it was an alright trip!! I didn't know they built a provo airport! Good to know!! =) I will wait for day 2!!

Cathy said...

I thought the headphones were great, especially the piggies! The airport just opened a few months ago. You've got to fly from there next time you take a trip. It's just lovely.

Marisa said...

I don't mind flying, but I loathe airports. Smaller is definitely better; good choice. And look at you, Smarty Pants, bringing Legos and Playdoh! I would never think to bring Playdoh. Just one of many reasons I read your blog. :)

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

So how busy is the airport in Provo? AND does it cost more to fly out of it?

The headphones are great. I think I need to find me a pair!