Monday, May 24, 2010

potty talk


We were at Judy's house a few days ago. I was sitting on the couch downstairs (since I had already washed the dishes, made the bed and put the laundry away) waiting for the clothes in the dryer to be done. Kris and Cate were in the playroom. I wasn't sure where Danny had wandered off to. Then I heard his little voice from upstairs.

Mama, I'm going pee.

Do you need help?

No. I'm going pee all by myself.

Good job, Danny!

I'm going pee standing up.

Wow! You're awesome.

I'm going pee standing up just like you.

Then I heard the toilet lid slam down and the flush. Of course, I did not hear the the sound of running water. It's obviously too much to ask to have him actually wash his hands without a reminder.

Finished!

Then he came down the stairs. I didn't look up from the computer.

Um...a little help here.

I looked up to see pants and underwear down around his ankles. He had shuffled all the way down two flights of stairs like that. I pulled everything up where it belonged and took him to wash his hands, feeling proud that I've taught him so much (except the standing up thing...he did not learn that from watching me).

Then there's my almost two-year-old who is trying to potty train herself. One day, after sitting on the toilet (with no "success", but it was her idea to sit on it so I had to oblige), she said,

Bum. Pee. Out.

There you have it, folks. Potty training in three little words.

2 comments:

Dan said...

First!

Dan said...

Enjoy these days of potty training. Some day you're going to look back and wish you could do it again.