Saturday, May 31, 2014

On the Last Day of May



Cate finally got the hang of riding her bike this week. That brings the percentage of people in our family who can ride a bike without training wheels up to 75%. Awesome. I'm pretty sure the thing that pushed her over the edge was watching 3-year-old cousin Ray Ray riding his bike without training wheels this week too. That'll do it every time. A little peer pressure.

I'm aiming for 100% bike riders by November. It's good to have goals. After all the pouting and stomping and quitting and throwing down of the bike this week I think I'd rather potty train Cate all over again 5 times than teach her how to ride a bike. My back never hurt this much from the potty training. 

Anyway, she was up and out for a ride before 8:30 this morning. She's not allowed on the street without a parent and since Dan was still in bed at that time (zzzzzzzzzzz), it was my lucky day. I started out just walking beside her because she's not very fast. Then I guess she got confident and I was having to run a little to keep up. I was getting tired and wishing I had a way to go faster without having to run (since running is clearly not my thing) when it dawned on me that I have a bike too. Duh. That was a much more enjoyable experience. 



A few hours later Danny had a soccer game where he scored the first goal! His team went on to win the game. That's the first time he's been on the winning team in his entire outdoor soccer career. I think he's played on 3 different outdoor teams but I can't remember now. Anyway, it was so nice to see him happy after a game for once. Only 6 boys showed up on his team so he got to play the whole time which he totally loved too. As an added bonus for me, the sky was just cloudy enough and there was a lovely breeze. My favorite.



We headed out for a celebratory burger after the game. Our favorite.

Then a birthday party for Cate, Grandma's house for Danny and Costco for me (not my favorite place to be on a Saturday afternoon but it had to be done). Dan weeded my sad little garden space for me (what a guy) and I planted tomato plants, carrots, radishes, turnips, parsnips and beets. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm pretty sure I've gotten a late start but whatever. Dirt, sun and water and good things are bound to happen right? 

Kids in bed and I headed to the grocery store because I needed avocados and you can't get just 3 at Costco. As luck would have it, Ben & Jerry's was way on sale so I bought 2. Saturday couldn't have ended better.