Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ricky's song

Cousin Ricky and Baby Cate
October 17, 2008


Last week I popped in the CD for the soundtrack to the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? while I was driving around in the car with the kiddos. Danny kind of got one of the songs stuck in his head and wanted to hear it over and over again. It's called In the Highways. In the movie, it was sung by a trio of little girls.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, Danny has dubbed it Ricky's song. Maybe because the girls were little kids when they sang it and Ricky's a little kid too? I don't know. Almost every time Danny listens to it, I hear his little voice from the back seat, "Wicky ginging dat gong." I just nod and keep on humming. We took a little Sunday drive last week and I think we listened to Ricky's song 20 times in a row.

Well, I made the mistake of singing Ricky's song while I was washing the dishes one day. Danny came running into the kitchen and exclaimed,

"No, Mama! You dan't ging dat gong! You ah NOT WICKY!"
(No, Mama! You can't sing that song! You are NOT RICKY!)

For now, I'm actually thankful there's no functioning CD player in the truck. If I had to listen to that song 20 times a day, I might just drive right off the highway and into the hedges.


Here's a little video I found of some kids singing along to Ricky's song. I couldn't find one of the original little girls singing it so this will have to do.

No comments: