Friday, August 14, 2009

war eagle

Today Danny said,

"Mama, member I was gick? I haf to gooook. Lady dive me popgickle."

Got all that? If not, I'll translate.

Mama, remember when I was sick? I had to puke. The lady gave me popsicles.

Then we talked about his brief hospital stay a month or so ago. I was surprised that he brought it up. It was totally out of the blue. I don't know why I'm surprised he remembered it though. I sure do.

Before his little stay, the bedtime routine was relatively easy.

bath
jammies
brush teeth
books
prayers
bed
kisses

I'd tuck him in, make sure he had his puppies, kiss him and say,
"Good night, Danny. I love you. Have a good night-night."

He'd usually say something like,
"Otay, I will. I wuv you too."

I think the hospital changed him though. Lately the bedtime routine is pretty much the same.
Only difference is, after I've said the good night, I love you part, he says,

"I nant you day here! Peeees. Day here."
I want you to stay here! Please. Stay here.

I lay my head on his pillow and stay for a few minutes. Then I get up and say the good night, I love you part again. He asks for lots of kisses. I give them. He asks for four kisses. I give those too. He asks for six kisses. I give those as well.

Tonight he added another something to his arsenal of stalling techniques that made me chuckle.

(A little lesson for those of you who are not from Auburn. During the kickoff at the college football games, the crowd cheers "Warrrrrrrrrrr Eagle! Hey!" as team runs down the field and then that one guy kicks the ball. I've been trying to teach that to Danny, just in case he ever goes to an Auburn football game. I want him to be prepared.)

As I was heading to his door to leave, he said,
"Mama, can you say Warrrrrrrrrr Eagle! Hey!"

Nice try.
Maybe it's time to teach him the fight song.
That might make a good lullaby.


And here's a little video of the kickoff.
Just in case you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about.


No comments: