Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Swedish Jam Cake




Carrying on my tradition of yummy pioneer recipes to celebrate the 24th of July in Utah, I present to you Swedish jam cake. (I think last year's brown sugar cake is still my favorite though. That stuff is good.)

My grandma is of Swedish descent. Her grandpa was born in Sweden. Swen Monson (except it was originally spelled Monsson). I did a little research into that family line and found some great names. If I ever have another girl maybe I'll name her Bengta or Bothilda or Ingar. Aren't those great names for a baby girl? Or for a baby boy I could pick from Jons or Mons or Lars or Nils. Or maybe just Swen. 

Anyway, this cake is yummy. When I saw how thick the batter was I thought I'd be clever and bake it in loaf pans and maybe it would turn out more like banana bread. Then I could give some away or freeze some for later. Nope. The jam made the bottoms too sticky and I had a hard time not making a mess. I'll try again next time but first I'll line the bottoms with parchment paper. I'm a thinker.

Swedish Jam Cake (found here)

1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup strawberry jam

Cream butter and sugar; add beaten egg yolks and salt. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Sift together flour and spices and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, adding flour last. Beat well and add jam. Fold in beaten egg whites. Bake in greased and floured 8x8-inch pan at 375° F. for 35 to 40 minutes.

Of course, if you're not into Utah or pioneers or fireworks on the 24th of July, you could always save this recipe for when you're watching Little House on the Prairie. I love Pa. He was my favorite. And Nellie. Oh, and Mrs. Oleson and her husband Nels. I bet they were Swedish. They would love a piece of jam cake I bet.

Anyway, happy 24th to my local peeps. Everyone else, enjoy your Wednesday.

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Uh, look at your cute styling for the photo. Cute plate!

I just may have to start baking, I am pretty sure Paul would love me more.

Arlene said...

Nobody cares about Pioneer Day down here. Pretty sure they are all going to h......