Saturday, August 28, 2010

star wars blueberry pie



I had this great idea to start a cooking class with Danny (and maybe Cate if she could keep her fingers out of the flour...she likes to eat it). Either that little boy of mine is hungry all the time for sweets or just really interested in baking. He talks to me almost every day about what we should bake. Cookies, pie, cupcakes, birthday cake. I'd love to indulge him every day but alas, my will power is not strong enough to resist eating freshly baked cookies, pies and cakes every single day.

Danny's most recent request was to bake some doodleberry pie. Obviously, we didn't have any doodleberries handy. We went to Costco and bought blueberries instead. He said that would be fine. I knew pie would be ok to bake because I don't really like pie. It wouldn't be much of a temptation to eat the whole thing. Plus, I've never baked a pie from scratch. We both win. He gets pie. I get to stop saying I've never baked a pie from scratch before (unless you count pudding pie with graham cracker crust...but I don't think that counts).

The plan was originally to have him "help" me bake the pie (that's why I was going to call it cooking class). Instead, I waited until this was happening...


and then baked it myself. I have no patience. It was a long morning. I was tired. The blueberries had been sitting in the fridge for almost a week. I just did it myself. I'm ok with that. So was Danny when he woke up and saw what I had done while he was sleeping.



I tried to make the pie extra special by using my Star Wars cookie cutters and turned it into Star Wars blueberry pie. Danny loved it. He wouldn't eat any of it of course. But he thought it looked good.

I used Pioneer Woman's pie crust recipe and her mom's recipe for blueberry pie. They were both berry easy and berry yummy. Next time I'll use way more sugar though. It wasn't sweet enough for my sweet tooth. And I didn't even have vanilla ice cream. What a shame.

I'm thinking the next time I hold a session of cooking class, I should actually let Danny in the kitchen with me.

Just a thought.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for the follow! I followed back. Nice meeting you! Love the pie - cute! I spend time in the kitchen with my son too. He doesn't like sweets as much (choc chip cookies & muffins, mostly), but he does like to help cook. It's a little trying sometimes, but I try to just enjoy the moment. Have fun!

Katie said...

The blueberry pie is beautiful. I have seen the Star Wars cookie cutters in the WS catalog and never bought them because they are always sold out! Thanks for the follow. I'm your newest follower. All the best.
Katie

Plain Chicken said...

what a great idea to put the star wars cookies on the pie! Very cute!!

Wiliams Sonoma has sandwich cutters in a tin lunch box now.

Arlene said...

Love them sleeping! I think you've got the hang of macro. :)

That pie looks delish. I wish you had a food processor to try Martha's. It's SO easy and has no Crisco in it. I guess I should send you some of my blueberry jam and see if you like it. More importantly, if Danny would like it! Way to go Julia!

Stephanie said...

The pie looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. I am now one of your new followers!

Glenora said...

Jarrett and Kris would have no problem eating it...so who ended up eating it, other than Dan?

Anonymous said...

thanks for following me!! wow! that pie looks delish! hehe!

im following your blog =) i look forward to seeing your posts =)

Unknown said...

Thanks for finding me and leaving such a nice comment. I look forward to following your blog too! :)

Jennifer said...

The pie looked GREAT! I cannot say that I blame you for waiting until they were sleeping. It always sounds like a great fun idea to bake something with your children - until you are actually doing it and the flour is flying, the bowls are being tipped over and everything is spilled everywhere, etc. I frequently make pancakes with my 3 yr old and that is Bisquick pancake mix (2 cups of mix, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs!), and even that required me to have an unbelievable amount of patience!

Wahzat Gayle said...

this is looks awesome... pies frighten me so I tip my hat to you.
I also do that wait until my two are sleeping and then bake something...though now that they are older though still messy I do let them help some more :)